Monday, October 27, 2008

Shock Jocks? Time To Grow Up?

So the BBC has been forced to apologise for lewd messages left on Andrew Sachs' mobile messaging service. I think lewd is a fairly mild term for saying that you had 'fucked' Mr Sachs granddaughter. I've long since stopped listening to or watching Jonathan Ross because of his mysogynistic innuendo which I personally find tediously juvenile and frankly pretty insulting to his guests. It came to a head, if you'll pardon the pun, when he suggested to Katie Price that he was going to go home and 'crack one off' having interviewed her. Jordan, to her credit laughed it off but I found it fairly gratuitously insulting and ceased watching to Ross from that moment onward. Now I don't think that my embargo is going to cause Mr Ross to loose much sleep but I feel better and less 'unclean' for my decision. 
Unfortunately not enough people seem to hold my view so we've now been exposed to the awful synergy of Ross and Brand seemingly stoking each other up to an unacceptable level - unacceptable to at lest 500 listeners and the BBCs subsequent apology. Quite apart from the utter rudeness and lack of consideration of this so-called 'prank', it's the kind of thing most boys grew out of before the age of twenty, the abuse of their respective positions just sticks in the gullet. As far as I'm aware the propagation of obscene messages over the public communications network is an offence so why aren't the boys in blue charging these morons pour encouragé les autres? 
More annoying still is the fact that both of these presenters are really bright people who could be using their talents in amazingly creative ways instead of taking the easy option. I'm not holding my breath.