Monday, September 1, 2008

Synchronicity and Its Perils

Listening to Terry Pratchett tonight, an author incidentally who is as visionary as he is humorous and who has given me huge enjoyment, I heard him expressing the disquiet he felt when the plot of a story that he had written seemed to echo the tidal wave that had just engulfed vast areas of the world and admitting that he had held off from publishing the story in case it was seen as opportunism. My daughter is a singer-songwriter who, I believe, is immensely talented and had written a beautiful song called December in New York but the misfortune of her timing was that it appeared just before the awful events of the Twin Towers. Although her team wanted her to release it as a single she felt, at that time,  that it would have been entirely inappropriate and the song remains a beautiful, but unknown track, on one of her albums. This led me wonder how many other artists have had this problem.
BTW expect to hear more thoughts from me on the music industry, it's current shortcomings and the shifting paradigm brought about by the web thingy. They (my thoughts) wont be all that complimentary.